Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Profit on CNBC 500 at Phoenix International Raceway - Race Talk
02-26-2014, 03:54 PM
The Profit on CNBC 500 at Phoenix International Raceway - Race Talk
The Profit on CNBC 500 at Phoenix International Raceway (one-mile speedway, Avondale, AZ)

No. 22 Shell-Pennzoil Ford Fusion driven by Joey Logano

Sunday, March 2, 3:00 pm ET

Primary Chassis: PRS-866
Last Raced: New chassis
Backup Chassis: PRS-858
Last Raced: Kentucky 2013 (finished 4th)

THE NEWS & NOTES
  • WANTING MORE AFTER DAYTONA: While an 11th-place finish in the Daytona 500 is better than how 32 other drivers fared, Joey Logano isn’t content heading into Phoenix. The 23-year-old driver felt he had a better car than the finish showed and just got stuck in the wrong lane several times late in the race at Daytona, which kept him from contending for the victory. Logano had to back off several times over the last couple laps to avoid accidents around him, which forced him to fall. He did race his way up to the front from his 35th-place starting position and led two laps in the “Great American Race.”
  • DRIVER RATING TELLS THE STORY: Logano ran well in Daytona in the No. 22 Shell-Pennzoil Ford. In fact, he recorded the fourth-best driver rating of all those in the field with a 104.1, proving he ran up front and was in contention most of the night. NASCAR’s driver rating formula is calculated by combining wins, finishes, top-15 results, average running position while on lead lap, average speed under the green flag, fastest lap, laps led and lead-lap finishes.
  • SOME PHOENIX SUCCESS: Logano has had mixed results at Phoenix in his career. In 10 Sprint Cup Series races at the track, he’s earned one top-five and four top-10 finishes. Last year, he finished 26th in the spring race despite running in the top five with a handful of laps to go when the car developed fuel pickup problems. He finished ninth in the 2013 fall race at PIR. Logano has also won at the track in the Nationwide Series.
  • COMMERCIAL STAR: While in Phoenix, Logano will film a commercial for Team Penske Nationwide Series sponsor Discount Tire – which is based in the area – with his Team Penske teammates Brad Keselowski and Ryan Blaney.
    FRIENDS OF 9-1-1: Shell Pipeline will be featuring a “Friends of 9-1-1” decal on the deck lid of the No. 22 Shell-Pennzoil Ford at this weekend’s race at Phoenix in partnership with NENA -The National Emergency Number Association. “Friends of 9-1-1” supports our 9-1-1 professionals and elevates 9-1-1 education and training.
  • ANOTHER SOLID START TO THE SEASON: For the second-straight year, Joey Logano and the No. 22 Shell-Pennzoil team started the season with a top-five finish at Daytona International Speedway in last Saturday’s Sprint Unlimited. Logano finished fourth in the event, following up a third-place finish last season. Logano led twice for 11 laps and finished with the third-best driver rating of all those entered on Saturday.

IS THERE A BIG MENTAL CHANGE WHEN YOU MOVE FROM A PLACE LIKE DAYTONA TO PHOENIX ON BACK-TO-BACK WEEKENDS?

“Yeah, it’s a totally different style of racing. At Daytona, you are mentally worn out after the race because you are aware and on edge the whole time. When you get to Phoenix, you can get more into a zone. It’s more racing where handling and car prep really comes into play. And you just approach it different from the very beginning. Daytona is Daytona. But you really feel like you start the season when you get to Phoenix.”

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON SEEING DALE JR. WIN THE DAYTONA 500?

“Of course we wanted to win the race. That is why we go to the track. And if we weren’t going to win, I would have liked to have seen Brad win the race because he’s my teammate and I knew he had a good car. But everyone loves seeing Dale Jr. win the race. It will be good for our sport. It will bring a lot of attention our way in the coming weeks. That’s probably our biggest star winning the biggest race. That’s got to be good, right? Hopefully, we as a sport can take the extra attention and make it pay off with some big races in the next couple of weeks. And hopefully we can win both of those.”
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jean's post:
Vermont#1Fan (03-01-2014)
02-28-2014, 02:24 PM
RE: The Profit on CNBC 500 at Phoenix International Raceway - Race Talk
I love Phx and want to get back to the track. I think Joey contends with 22 car. 11 and 48 will be stout. Looks like rain tomorrow so qualifying upfront is extremely important. With the new q time, its going to be fun to watch
Find all posts by this user
[-] The following 1 user Likes 22forLogano's post:
Vermont#1Fan (03-02-2014)
02-28-2014, 09:45 PM
P2. Wanted the pin but hey, 1-2 PRS front row. Go get some Sunday!
Vermont#1Fan (03-01-2014)
03-01-2014, 01:16 AM
03-01-2014, 10:07 AM
Love the confidence, the first loser! Big paycheck is SundaySmile
03-01-2014, 01:12 PM
well penske certainly came here to race lol

Heres to 2013!!! New Relationships & New Beginnings!
[Image: 598392_10151166714630794_1443265093_n.jpg]
03-02-2014, 07:20 PM
solid run by the team!
03-02-2014, 10:13 PM
you are always trying, great run..keep it up!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kelly's post:
Vermont#1Fan (03-09-2014)
03-03-2014, 09:48 AM
New season, same great confidence, skill, and maturity that made me notice Joey and then turn me into a fan in the first place. Loved the comment on running hard on the last restart even though it lost a spot, and then drove smart to a good finish when it didn't work out. Very proud to support this young man.
Off topic a little, but have been using team 22's sponsors products and am having great results. Nice to know Penske and Logano Racing are supported by companies that seem to share their integrity. Shell, Pennzoil, Wiley x, Goodyear, Autozone, Comp cams, thanks for the support and selling a product worth buying.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dc100's post:
03-03-2014, 01:37 PM
YOU HAD ONE OF THE BEST CARS OUT THERE TODAY BUT JUST CAME UP A LITTLE BIT SHORT. TALK ABOUT YOUR RACE.

“It was fun out there. I had a really good Shell-Pennzoil Ford. That 4 car (driven by Harvick) was just so fast. I was joking on the radio that on the back bumper of that car it says ‘freaky fast’ and they weren’t lying when they put that on there. We had a really good car, just not as good as his. On that last restart – the last two restarts – I figured I might as well go for it. With a win being so important you might as well go for it and I tried to stuff it in there three-wide, and gave up a spot by doing that, but overall it is all about the win. We didn’t quite get that today but we will go to Vegas and try again.”

IT WAS A BIG WEEKEND FOR TEAM PENSKE WASN’T IT?

“Yes it was a really big weekend for Penske. We qualified one-two on the Cup side and then finished three-four and both cars ran up front all day long. On the Nationwide side, we won the pole and Brad finished third. It just goes to show you the work that we have put in over the off-season. We’ve worked really hard to try and make these Ford Fusions better with this new rules package. I think it’s a great start, but we have to keep working at it. We will get even better. That’s the goal at least.”
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jean's post:
03-03-2014, 08:16 PM
Here the difference, he went for it but didnt wreck anyone. That is huge. I loved watching that race and the win is around the corner. Great run and on to Vegas. I think the race is wide open. Great job Joey