Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Sylvania 300 - Race Talk
09-18-2014, 08:50 PM
Sylvania 300 - Race Talk
News & Notes

A CAREER-BEST IN POINTS: Following last weekend’s fourth-place finish at Chicagoland Speedway in the opening race of the Chase, Joey Logano was able to move up from fifth to third in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series point standings, just 10 points behind leader and teammate Brad Keselowski. The third-place position in the point standings marks a career-best for Logano. Previously, Logano’s career-best points position was fourth, which he achieved earlier this season on several occasions.

BACK HOME FOR SOME FUN: It’s always a busy time when Logano heads back to New Hampshire Motor Speedway for his “hometrack” race on the schedule. And this weekend, things will be extra busy for Logano. On Wednesday, he will celebrate his upcoming nuptials with family and friends. On Thursday, Logano will be busy with the Inaugural Hometown Showdown Driven by AutoTrader.com, a friendly go-karting competition set for Thursday, September 18th from 3:30-9:00 p.m. ET at On Track Karting in Wallingford, Conn. The night will provide an opportunity for fans to test their racing skills against Logano and other participants in a fun competition. In addition to the on-track racing, the event will host a variety of activities, such as a silent auction, a raffle and plenty of opportunities to interact with Logano.

LOGANO PLACE:
The Connection, a Connecticut-based nonprofit human service and community development agency, will open their newest transitional housing program for homeless adult men and women to be named Logano Place as the Joey Logano Foundation has adopted the program. Logano Place will provide housing for up to 28 homeless adult men and women who are actively working on their recovery from behavioral health and substance abuse issues. The goal of the program is to provide support to these men and women so that they can successfully re-enter the work force and permanently exit homelessness. The program, located in Middletown, CT, will offer second chances to those who are working to achieve independence in their lives.

ANOTHER CAREER-BEST MARK: With his fourth-place finish at Chicago, Logano matched his 2013 top-five finish total with 11, which is also the most in his six-year NASCAR Sprint Cup Series career. Logano has now earned 22 top-five finishes since joining Team Penske in 2013. Prior to that, Logano had tallied just 16 top-five finishes in his first four years.

The Car

Primary Chassis: PRS-925
Last Raced: New Chassis
Backup Chassis: PRS-901
Last Raced: Sonoma (finished 22nd as No. 2)

Quote:YOU AND YOUR TEAM FOUGHT THROUGH A LOT IN CHICAGO. DOES THAT GIVE YOU ADDED CONFIDENCE GOING INTO NHMS?

“Yeah I’m pretty excited about the way Chicago went for the Shell/Pennzoil team. I’m not excited about the fact that we struggled quite a bit all weekend long, but I’m really happy the way this team pulled together and showed that they can take even a bad car and turn what could be a bad weekend into a good one. Everyone really rallied together and that is what this team has done all year long. Even when things aren’t going our way, we don’t let it bother us and we get right down to business and we make it better. We took a car that should have hardly finished inside the top-10 and finished fourth with it. That’s a huge accomplishment and I don’t think many other teams out there could do what we did last weekend. That pumps me up.”

SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE A BUSY WEEKEND HEADING INTO NHMS.

“New Hampshire weekend is always a little busy. I get to see some of my friends and family, but this weekend, we are busy with the Hometown Showdown for the Joey Logano Foundation. I’m pretty pumped for it and it should be a lot of fun. We are going to raise a lot of great money for the Foundation and for The Connection. And getting to help out The Connection and see a new facility opening up is pretty cool. We get to do a lot of cool things as racecar drivers, so to be able to help out and give back, especially in my hometown when I don’t get a chance to get back here very often, is pretty cool.”

Heres to 2013!!! New Relationships & New Beginnings!
[Image: 598392_10151166714630794_1443265093_n.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes jlogano22's post:
Vermont#1Fan (09-21-2014)
09-19-2014, 12:43 AM
RE: Sylvania 300 - Race Talk
Ran strong here last time, I foresee the same this weekend!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jean's post:
09-19-2014, 09:04 AM
Not really sure what to expect lol, he has shitty ass luck here

Luckily no morgan shepherd racing lol

Brads got his same car from July so...that should be fun

09-19-2014, 07:38 PM
Brad on pole, Joey p7. Lets get this
[-] The following 1 user Likes 22forLogano's post:
09-20-2014, 02:15 PM
Looked good in practice, another 1-2 in the works?
09-21-2014, 05:16 PM
O My God,,,,can he do it,,,,,I am having a heart attack......gws
09-21-2014, 06:49 PM
WOOOHOOOOOO HELL YES HE DOES IT AGAIN

Vermont#1Fan (09-22-2014)
09-21-2014, 07:45 PM
We won!!! Yay Joey!!! Next week will be an easy one to watch Smile lets go pad our stats and bag another W at Dover Joey!! No pressureSmile

[Image: 2q00y8p.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Canadian Joey Fan's post:
09-21-2014, 07:48 PM
Heck yes! Winner winner chicken dinner and I was there. Amazing car, crew chief, team, sponsors, organization. Thank you Team Penske for letting our boy showcase his talents
[-] The following 2 users Like 22forLogano's post:
Jean (09-21-2014), Vermont#1Fan (09-22-2014)
09-21-2014, 11:26 PM
We all knew Joey was talented, glad to see the year he is having at Penske, Homestead is within reach!
09-22-2014, 12:33 AM
I was getting really pissed. I wonder if they have some sort of stats regarding how many restarts the winner had to go thru to finally prevail? He has got to be at the top of the list. TS looked like a intentional dive in a lame attempt to get Harvick out in front, imo of course.
[-] The following 2 users Like Kelly's post:
jlogano22 (09-23-2014), Vermont#1Fan (09-22-2014)
09-22-2014, 09:50 PM
Yes, Yes, next week breath a little easier but always hoping Joey will WIN !!!!!! gws

You know I now live in Concord, 1/2 hour to the track and we didn't go,,,,for many reasons,,,,the moving and all things considered, then I was sick most of the day, so good thing we were not going. Am sad not to be there but believe me, it was so exciting watching on TV,,,,,up front and replays help make it great to watch,,,I was screaming the last 20 laps,,,,,Hooray for JOey,,,,,he is the greatest!!!!! We did go to the Concord airport about 6:30, saw lots of team members coming to airplanes, no drivers, that I could see. There were 3 three Hendrick Jets on the runway, revving up to get going, one took off, then it was dark so gave up on watching.....
09-23-2014, 08:58 AM
Now we need a win in the second segment so talladega doesn't give me a heart attack lol

09-24-2014, 06:53 PM
Race Report

Joey Logano and the No. 22 Shell-Pennzoil Ford Fusion team qualified seventh for Sunday’s Sylvania 300 at New Hampshire Motor Speedway (NHMS).

As the race began, Logano told his team that the car took off slow and he began to drop several positions. After 20 laps, however, the Shell-Pennzoil Ford began to come to life and he was able to work his way up to sixth place before the competition caution flag flew on lap 35.

After a two-tire stop during the first caution, Logano came off of pit lane in third place and he was able to work his way up to second, a position that he held from lap 95 through two more pit stop cycles.

On lap 171, the Shell-Pennzoil crew came through with a great pit stop and got Logano out and into the race lead. He held the top spot until the next pit stop on lap 211 when he came in first and left pit lane with the lead.

A total of 15 caution flags provided ample opportunities to make up or lose ground on race restarts. Logano slipped back to the sixth position around lap 245.

On lap 246, with the Shell-Pennzoil Ford not able to make it to the finish on fuel, crew chief Todd Gordon called Logano in for four tires and fuel. One of the few competitors that took four tires on their last stop, Logano found himself 16th on the ensuing restart with just 50 laps to go.

Not to be denied, Logano was able to make his four fresh tires work to his advantage as he raced three-wide on the outside at the green flag. The move allowed the native of Middletown, Conn., to race from 16th all the way to sixth in just 10 laps.

With a number of late-race restarts – and fresher tires and more fuel than all of the cars in front of him – Logano methodically picked off the remaining cars in the top five one by one.

On lap 274 while running third, Logano was able to work his way past teammate Brad Keselowski and race leader Kevin Harvick to grab the lead. He never trailed again as he won by 1.150 seconds in a green-white-checkered flag overtime finish.

The victory was Logano’s seventh career win, the fourth of the 2014 season and his second at his “home” track in New Hampshire – his first coming in 2009. The 24-year-old driver has now earned 12 top-five and 17 top-10 finishes through the first 28 races of the year.

The win was also the third straight and fourth in the last five races for Team Penske. Logano won at Bristol and Keselowski was victorious at Richmond and Chicagoland.

Logano led three times for a total of 73 laps on Sunday.

With the victory, Logano moved up to second in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Chase standings, just one point behind Keselowski. He is now also guaranteed a spot in the Contender Round of 12 drivers in the Chase for the Sprint Cup championship.

Quote:IT WAS A BIG CALL FROM TODD GORDON TO TAKE FOUR TIRES ON THE LAST STOP. DID YOU THINK THAT WAS THE RIGHT CALL AT THAT POINT?

“No, I thought we gave it away at that point, but four tires were good and we had some good restarts and were able to get ourselves back up there. We’ve got to get to the next round to win the championship. That’s our ultimate goal is to win the championship and we had to get through this day the best we could and had some really good restarts. Before I knew it I was sitting third and was like, ‘Huh, I’ve got a shot at winning this thing.’ I’ve got 30-lap newer tires than anybody and we were able to capitalize with that, and then of course it was caution after caution after caution and that was making me nervous for sure. I don’t know if Todd and Walt (Czarnecki) were, but I know I was and we were able to capitalize and have some good restarts and be here in Victory Lane. I’ve got to thank all the boys at Team Penske. We’re doing what we’ve got to do to win this thing right now – both teams are – and I’m proud of that. This is my home track so it means so much to me.”

YOU DIDN’T SEEM LIKE YOU WERE SURE ABOUT THE CAR TO START THE WEEKEND.

“A lot went into this one, that’s for sure. I’ll just take you back to when we unloaded. We were OK and then yesterday in practice we were so-so. I didn’t feel like we were great and towards the end of practice we made a couple changes and found some speed. We started seventh today and were able to work our way up a little bit in the beginning of the race. I felt like, ‘OK, ‘we’ve got something to contend for a victory with,’ if everything worked out right.”

THIS IS YOUR FOURTH WIN OF THE YEAR. CAN YOU EVEN DESCRIBE WHAT THAT MEANS TO YOU?

“To me, this is almost like Daytona. It’s such a special place for me. I watched my first Cup race here when I was five and started my first one and won my first one. After the week I had in Connecticut doing some really cool fundraisers, to top it off with a victory is really neat.”

Vermont#1Fan (09-24-2014)