Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Should Daytona International Speedway be repaved?
02-22-2010, 02:34 AM
Should Daytona International Speedway be repaved?
Thoughts?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-22-2010, 02:38 AM
RE: Should Daytona International Speedway be repaved?
They need to hire the crew that repaved Vegas. It looked like it'd been sitting for decades even after the repaving. Smile

If it were possible, I'd rather they inspect the track for the weakest spots like the one that got exposed during the race and fix those instead of repaving the whole track. A complete repave would ruin the character of the track for atleast 5-10 years as Florida weather wears asphalt very slowly.. it took 32 years just to get to how it is now.

Race tracks need character to put on good racing. A smooth race track is a boring race track.
Find all posts by this user
02-22-2010, 05:34 AM
No just repave parts what need to be done.. If they repave the entire track it will ruin the raceing for a while
02-22-2010, 08:59 AM
Eventually it will have to be so lets just do it and get it over with.

[Image: 2q00y8p.jpg]
02-22-2010, 12:53 PM
(02-22-2010 08:59 AM)Canadian Joey Fan Wrote:  Eventually it will have to be so lets just do it and get it over with.

I agree. It's a hazard. Can't keep repaving tiny patches all the time. Just do it again and it'll get back to it's good ol self in a few years anyways.
02-22-2010, 04:32 PM
they were thinking about it in a few year so it should just be done
02-22-2010, 08:26 PM
If Junior thinks it needs to be repaved then it should b repaved, but if he don't, then they should leave it IMO.
02-22-2010, 11:29 PM
I think it should be repaved. They just waste time trying to patch it up. It'll had to be done eventually so why not now while they aren't there for another 5 months. I understand it will change the race tactics and all but I'd rather the track be safe.
02-23-2010, 06:36 AM
I don't think they should repave it right now, I'm sure eventually it will NEED to be, but until then they should just patch the areas that are really troublesome. What would really be awesome is if they paved turns 1 and 2 and left 3 and 4 the same.
02-23-2010, 10:08 AM
Maybe it just needs more holes so it's even

[Image: 2q00y8p.jpg]
02-23-2010, 09:02 PM (This post was last modified: 02-24-2010 12:22 PM by 22forLogano.)
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. That track has so much character. What happened in the 500 was the perfect storm. Tons of rain, cold weather, 42 3400 lbs cars in the 500 alone. Would have happened at Dega and it's new surface.
02-23-2010, 11:19 PM
It needs to be repaved but they need to try and maintain the bumpy surface... that's what makes Daytona a handling track vs. a speed contest. If they don't keep it bumpy it's just going to turn into another Talladega, and quite frankly that's boring.
02-24-2010, 12:24 PM
(02-23-2010 11:19 PM)Urnhardttt Wrote:  It needs to be repaved but they need to try and maintain the bumpy surface... that's what makes Daytona a handling track vs. a speed contest. If they don't keep it bumpy it's just going to turn into another Talladega, and quite frankly that's boring.

The slickness of the worn pavement is what makes the track slippery not the bumps. Those bumps are part of the characteristicsBig Grin
02-24-2010, 07:25 PM
leave it the way it is

http://www.kkracingcollectibles.com/

Take a look at my custom Diecasts (Link Below)

http://public.fotki.com/derekmcc/

[Image: DSC_0198.jpg][Image: DSC_0507.jpg]
02-24-2010, 08:16 PM
(02-24-2010 12:24 PM)20forLogano Wrote:  The slickness of the worn pavement is what makes the track slippery not the bumps. Those bumps are part of the characteristicsBig Grin

I don't ever recall blaming the slick surface on the bumps.

The fact is, it's not the slick surface that makes Daytona a handling track. It's the bumps.

In the ideal plate track setup, the only suspension settings that matter are those that keep the car as low to the ground at speed as possible for the best aerodynamic profile. At Talladega, that's all the teams try to do... set the car up for the best possible aero profile to generate maximum speed.

Daytona would be the same, current grip levels or not, if the surface was smooth like Talladega. The radius of the corners is too great for the slick surface to force the cars to slow down in the corners... this is not like Atlanta or Michigan or any of the other tracks that have much tighter radii.

Since Daytona is very bumpy, the teams can't run those Talladega-style setups without seriously upsetting the car's balance in the corners. They have to allow for suspension travel and tune the bump and rebound to let the car absorb the bumps and enable the driver to maneuver over and around them.

If they repave it and smooth out all of the bumps, it's going to drive just like Talladega, which, IMO, will be boring.

- Steve

Jean's best friend. (Heart) NO, I'm not a Junior fan! Big Grin
03-25-2010, 02:02 AM
Anyone remember this?

03-28-2010, 03:20 PM
I think Daytona'll get its character back after a couple of races. I for one do not want another Daytona race to be delayed by several hours due to holes in the track, so I'm all for repaving!
03-30-2010, 06:21 PM
repave away!! im all for repaving, i love daytona tho it was a nightmare this yr cuz of those holes. altho i did get a good laugh at seeing kyle busch take a little nappy in his car lol. then DW and the boys woke him up lol

I'm not random. I just think fast! Big GrinEmbarrased
03-30-2010, 07:07 PM
Hahahahahahahahh that was funny. He definitely didn't think that was coming! Smile
03-31-2010, 02:31 PM
lol! he got sooo mad too the first thing he said was 'YOU WOKE ME UP!' he didnt sound all to happy Smile

I'm not random. I just think fast! Big GrinEmbarrased
03-31-2010, 08:31 PM
Hahah nope not at all. but thats just kyle busch.
04-25-2010, 03:36 PM
So, looks like they will be repaving it.