Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
SOPHOMORE LOGANO LEARNING FAST
09-25-2010, 04:12 AM
SOPHOMORE LOGANO LEARNING FAST
Quote:In the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, you are what your record says you are. In the case of Joey Logano, the pilot of the No. 20 Home Depot Toyota Camry out of the Joe Gibbs Racing stable, the record says he has shown significant and continued progress in his sophomore season.

Sure, the Connecticut-born, 20-year-old Sprint Cup sophomore hasn’t yet added a win to the one he took at New Hampshire Motor Speedway in his 2009 rookie season, and he isn’t one of the 12 drivers contesting the 10-race Chase to the Sprint Cup, but the numbers and statistics he’s accumulated so far show that he continues to be a fast learner and a prime candidate for future success at NASCAR’s top level.

In 2009, the rookie Logano amassed 2,705 points, one victory, one top five and five top-10 finishes in the 26-race, pre-Chase “regular season.” During the same period this year, Logano had 2,878 points, three top fives (including a hard-earned fourth at the 26th race, Richmond) and 10 top 10s. On average, Logano’s race finishes this season have been approximately two positions per race better than last year.

High points on the season include a second-place at Martinsville (Va.) Speedway, where Logano finished second to the No. 11 FedEx Toyota of teammate Denny Hamlin, and his first career Sprint Cup pole at Bristol (Tn.) Motor Speedway.

Improvement, to be sure. And with nine Sprint Cup races still to run, starting with Dover’s Monster Mile this Sunday, it’s a season that could get better still before it’s over.

Logano would be the first to tell you, however, that there’s room to improve a whole lot more, which is what he, crew chief Greg Zipadelli and the rest of the Home Depot team are aiming toward.

Part of the improvement process is familiarity – getting comfortable in the Sprint Cup cars, which are notoriously finicky to drive, and learning every nuance of the more than 20 tracks on the schedule. “It’s a lot easier when you come to these places a second and a third time, basically,” says Logano. “It’s cool to go back there and have a notebook and say, ‘Hey, I worked on this last time. This is what I need to improve on.’”

More and more, the improvements will come from Logano mastering and understanding the countless little details that add up to something more substantial. Plus, as he gets more seat time and understands the cars and tracks better, his feedback to Zipadelli about how his car is handling and what it needs improves, too.

“The detail that was in my notes the first year compared to this year is very different,” says Logano. “Before it was really big things...that everybody should know anyway. Now, it’s really getting into details.”

If you listen to Logano, he still sounds like a 20-year-old, liberally peppering his conversation with words like “neat” and “cool” and the infectious laugh of youth.

That said, he’s also had some man-sized challenges on track this year. Other drivers, including Kevin Harvick, Ryan Newman and Greg Biffle, have tried to rough him up or bully him, and Logano has been forced to be strong in return.

“Your skin gets a lot tougher, I can promise you that,” Logano says. “You can be on top of the world one day and down in the dumps the next. ‘What in the heck happened?’”

Still, there’s no place Logano would rather be than behind the wheel of the orange-and-white No. 20 Camry.

“It’s definitely a lot tougher than I thought it was going to be,” he says of competing at the Sprint Cup level. “But it’s fun. It’s a lot more gratifying when you manage to do good, because you’re racing with the best race car drivers out there. When you get that top-five finish or that top-10 finish, that’s a lot more gratifying than winning in a lower division.”
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Jean's post:
Joeyloganolover20 (09-25-2010), Vermont#1Fan (09-25-2010)
09-25-2010, 10:09 AM
RE: SOPHOMORE LOGANO LEARNING FAST
Thats awesome i really think Joey has improved since last year he is more mature and he doesnt let people walk all over him and he tells people what he thinks they should have done instead and he learns drom his mistakes and he also improves on what he needs to improve on!

Joey Logano Heart
New year, New Crew Chief!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply