Logano learning Daytona at ARCA testing session
12-20-2008, 03:12 PM
Teen driver will race there five times during Speedweeks
By Official Release
December 20, 2008
09:37 AM EST

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- Joey Logano is only 18 but is about to attempt a rare Daytona double, and then some.

Logano, who has never raced at Daytona International Speedway, will make his first two starts on Feb. 7 when he races in both the ARCA Re/Max Series season opener and Budweiser Shootout.

"I'm doing it," Logano said of his busy Speedweeks 2009 schedule. "I'm running both races and then I've got the Nationwide race ... then running the Cup race. Between all that, I've got my hands full."

Toss in the Daytona 150-mile qualifying races, and Logano will be racing five events during Speedweeks.

"I'm just getting as many laps as I can and learn as much as I can," Logano said. "I've got a big year ahead on the Cup side ... whatever I can do to make myself better."

Logano, who was signed to Joe Gibbs Racing's driver development program in 2005, has generated plenty of buzz since he began racing at the age of 6. He already has amassed a long list of accomplishments including winning the 2007 Camping World East championship and more recently winning in his ARCA debut in May at Rockingham and winning in just his third Nationwide Series start in June at Kentucky.

Logano, who is replacing Tony Stewart in the No. 20 Toyota, will next try to add youngest Daytona 500 winner to that list. The current record is owned by Jeff Gordon, who won the Daytona 500 in 1997 at the age of 25 years, six months and 12 days.

Logano began his indoctrination to Daytona on Friday, the first of a three-day ARCA test with close to 50 other cars. Driving the No. 25 Toyota of Venturini Motorsports, Logano clocked in at 179.569 mph in his first laps around the legendary motorsports facility.

"I've been here and watched a ton of races, watched the 500 a hundred times probably," Logano said. "I just want to get out there. We're almost ready to go out there and just go around Daytona with all the history around this place.

"Just to go out there and make laps is going to be really cool. We're going to learn a lot, as much as we can about the race car and about the track and drafting and see if we can come back with a good race car."

http://www.nascar.com/2008/news/headline...index.html

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-20-2008, 07:59 PM
RE: Logano learning Daytona at ARCA testing session
I wrote my own writeup on this yesterday, hehe. -> http://www.gojoeylogano.com/arca/daytona-testing.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-20-2009, 08:06 PM
RE: Logano learning Daytona at ARCA testing session
I talked to Bill Venturini Today and he said the plan is to have Joey at Daytona and Pocono. He said they might run 1 or 2 more after that as well. Joey will drive the #25 Home Depot Toyota in the ARCA Race, Ryan Fischer will be in the #15 Venturini Motorsports Chevrolet and Brian Scott will be in a Venturini Toyota as well.
Find all posts by this user