Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Joey Logano Quicken Loans 400 Race - Sunday June 16 - Race Talk
06-14-2013, 12:09 AM
Joey Logano Quicken Loans 400 Race - Sunday June 16 - Race Talk
The Quicken Loans 400 at Michigan International Speedway (two-mile oval, Brooklyn, Michigan)

No. 22 Pennzoil Ford Fusion driven by Joey Logano

Sunday June 16, 1:00 pm ET

Primary Chassis: PRS-857
Last Raced: New chassis
Backup Chassis: PRS-844
Last Raced: Backup at several races (not yet raced)

THE NEWS & NOTES
  • ON A HOT STREAK: Joey Logano enters the race at Michigan this weekend riding a bit of a hot streak in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series. Logano finished 10th last weekend at Pocono Raceway, marking his third-straight top-10 finish (fourth if you count the Sprint All-Star race) and his sixth top 10 in his last 10 races.
  • DADDY TOM: One of the most well-known fathers in the garage area, Tom Logano has been with his son throughout his entire racing career. A garbage man from the Northeast, Tom Logano got his son interested in racing after buying him a go-kart at an early age despite not having a racing background himself. Since that point, the two have worked together throughout Logano’s racing career before the youngster was signed to run in the NASCAR Nationwide Series (NNS). In fact, in just his third Nationwide Series start, coming on Father’s Day weekend, the younger Logano scored his first NNS win, making him the youngest NNS winner in NASCAR history and giving his dad the best Father’s Day gift of his life.
  • MICHIGAN FEAST OR FAMINE: Michigan International Speedway has been both a good and bad track for Logano over the course of his Sprint Cup Series career. In eight starts at the track, Logano has three top-10 finishes, all of which came early in his career. Last year, Logano was running in the top 10 in both Cup Series races at Michigan before being involved in accidents.
  • FORD RACING DAY: This coming Thursday, Logano and the rest of the Ford Racing family of drivers will visit the Ford headquarters in Dearborn, Mich., for Ford Racing Day. As part of the visit, the drivers to tour the facility, partake in several activities and sign autographs for Ford employees.
  • POINTS RACE: Logano moved up two spots in the point standings to 16th after Pocono. He’s now just 26 points out of the Chase.

YOU ARE RUNNING WELL RIGHT NOW, HOW DO YOU KEEP THAT GOING WEEK TO WEEK?

“The best teams are able to run up front each and every weekend. That is where we need to get this Shell-Pennzoil team. I think we need to get to the point to where we unload the car and start the race closer to the front, so we have a better shot at the win and at top fives. We have been getting some good finishes this year, but it seems like we are always fighting back from a problem or fighting from the back of the field. If we can get to where we are a little better at the start of the weekend, I think you will see a whole different outcome.”

HOW DO YOU GET TO THAT POINT?
“All that will just come with time. The thing I need to keep telling myself is that we are still only 14 races into this new relationship. (Crew chief) Todd (Gordon) and myself have only been together for 14 races and I’ve only been with Penske Racing for 14 races. We’ve come a long way, but we are still working and learning new things about each other every single weekend. With time, that will come. I think we’ve done pretty good so far, but we want to keep it going. You never want to come to the track and stop learning. We still are for sure.”
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jean's post:
Vermont#1Fan (06-15-2013)
06-14-2013, 09:11 AM
RE: Joey Logano Quicken Loans 400 Race - Sunday June 16 - Race Talk
Let's keep the momentum going!!!!!! We are on our way to the chase with the way this team has been running
Find all posts by this user
[-] The following 2 users Like Shell4Life's post:
Emogirl20rocks (06-26-2013), Vermont#1Fan (06-15-2013)
06-14-2013, 10:02 PM
06-16-2013, 07:02 PM
Another top ten. 12 points out of 10th. Not sure why Todd decided 4 tires on that last pit stop, but I wont question
06-16-2013, 08:34 PM
yeah that was a really bad call..........he had the ******* LEAD!!!!!!!!!!!

but another great run led laps, although a disappointment of a finish spot..............

Heres to 2013!!! New Relationships & New Beginnings!
[Image: 598392_10151166714630794_1443265093_n.jpg]
06-16-2013, 10:00 PM
That is 5 top 10's in a row!!!! The team is so close to the chase, hoping they can continue the strong run at Sonoma, its one of my favorite races of the year!
06-16-2013, 10:03 PM
he's had 2 straight top 10s at sonoma..............

06-17-2013, 05:59 PM
They needed the gas to get to the finish. That's why Todd took 4 tires. Didn't want to end up like Brad.

So here's my view of the race to the chase from here and I see no reason Joey should not make get a top 10 at nearly every race and even a couple wins before making the chase given the way they've been running lately.

Sonoma- 1 pole and a few top 10s
Kentucky- 3 consecutive NNS wins from the pole(win)
Daytona- he's a great plate racer(win)
New Hampshire- First cup win
Indy- Pocono turn 2 modeled after Indy turns
Pocono- obvious(win)
Watkins Glen- couple top 5's and 10's he's a great road racer.
Michigan- He should have won today so I cant wait to get back there(win)
Bristol- Led most laps last year, could have won earlier in the season there(win)
Atlanta- worst track but improving on all stats this year so...
Richmond- finished 3rd in spring race.......

I'm so proud to call myself a Joey fan he's finally getting the finishes to go with the speed and the speed to go with the talent.

GO JOEY!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes SlicedBread22's post:
Vermont#1Fan (06-23-2013)
06-17-2013, 06:45 PM
i doubt we will get 5-6 wins but....................i'd love to see that lol

if i could pick any race to get a win it would be the glen since ill most likely be there

06-17-2013, 08:02 PM
Joey didnt need tires. It was proven all weekend tiresmesnt nothing. He did need gas but thats all they shiuld hsve taken. But you learn and I wont question.

I will stick by what I said about wins. I said he would win Cali before season ans we were close. I said sneaky fast at MIS and he was. 22 next best chance is Kentucky where I think he wins. Lets go Joey
[-] The following 2 users Like 22forLogano's post:
Jean (06-17-2013), Vermont#1Fan (06-23-2013)
06-17-2013, 08:06 PM
Quote:ARE YOU HAPPY WITH THE FINISH OR FRUSTRATED AFTER LEADING A NUMBER OF LAPS?

“Of course I think everyone knows that this Shell-Pennzoil Ford Fusion was much better than ninth today. So yeah, in that sense it is always frustrating. However, that’s good when you can finish in the top 10 and still be frustrated with it. When you are getting to the point to where you finish up there and you expect more, that means you are hitting your stride. All-in-all, it was a really good day. We ran strong, we led laps and we proved we were a car to contend with this afternoon. Sure we would have liked to have finished in the top three, which is where I think we could have run, but I’ll take another top 10. It was a good points day for sure.”

WHAT ABOUT THE CALL AT THE END TO TAKE FOUR TIRES?

“I think it was the right call. I mean it is easy to second-guess yourself after it’s all said and done, but had we taken two tires, we might not have had enough gas to make it to the end like what happened to (Penske Racing teammate) Brad (Keselowski). So yeah, it was the right call. We knew getting back there would be tough and we just didn’t have the time to have it all work out. But (crew chief) Todd (Gordon) called a great race today. I’m proud of him and this entire Shell-Pennzoil team.”
06-18-2013, 08:00 PM
Joey needs to sah thatSmile like I said, I wont question. Need solid top 12 this weekend
06-19-2013, 10:17 AM
I don't mean he'll win all the races I said I just mean that those are the tracks where I think he can win. Kentucky, Dover, Daytona, Bristol, Talladega, Michigan, Pocono and probably a couple others are all tracks he runs well at and as far as Im concerned most of those owe him one lol. At LEAST Bristol Dover Michigan and Daytona owe him one.. and Martinsville
06-19-2013, 10:18 AM
I also think he can win the bank of America 500 at charlotte
06-20-2013, 09:10 AM
Joey going to win 2 races, Kentucky I feel strong about. I agree Charlotte but that in the chase. Need 2 before thatSmile
06-23-2013, 11:43 PM
I have been absent here for awhile, my son David passed away June 16. It has been very hard on all of us and his wife and 2 children. They are in MA so been away and grieving etc. We have tickets for Loudon but don't know if I will feel up to it, I may ask if anyone needs tickets. The $70 seats, end of row # 1 and 2 Will decide a little later.....gws
06-23-2013, 11:45 PM
Oh, kept one eye on race today, Joey continues to do good, am happy for him....gws
06-24-2013, 09:34 PM
Gail, I am sorry to hear the loss of your son, this is very sad to hear. Will keep you and your family in my thoughts during this tough time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jean's post:
Vermont#1Fan (06-24-2013)
06-25-2013, 06:28 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss MommaSad
[-] The following 1 user Likes 22forLogano's post:
Vermont#1Fan (06-25-2013)
06-29-2013, 07:00 PM
sorry about you loss vermont, my thoughts and prayers are with your family

[-] The following 1 user Likes jlogano22's post:
Vermont#1Fan (06-29-2013)
06-29-2013, 07:10 PM
Thanks guys,,,,I am going to enjoy the race tonight, if it goes,,,,need to get out of my funk,,,,for a few hours....gws