Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Federated Auto Parts 400 at Richmond International Raceway - Race Talk
09-03-2013, 08:15 PM
Federated Auto Parts 400 at Richmond International Raceway - Race Talk
Federated Auto Parts 400 at Richmond International Raceway (.75-mile oval, Richmond, VA)

No. 22 Shell-Pennzoil Ford Fusion driven by Joey Logano

Saturday, September 7, 6:00 pm ET

Primary Chassis: PRS-853
Last Raced: Richmond (finished third)
Backup Chassis: PRS-844
Last Raced: Backup at several races (not raced)

THE NEWS & NOTES
  • ONE MORE TO GO: Joey Logano is in a strong position heading into this weekend’s NASCAR Sprint Cup Series event at RIR to qualify for the Chase. Logano sits eighth in the point standings, 16 points inside the top 10. Should Logano slip out of the top 10, he has one victory to fall back on for a potential wild-card berth. While Logano isn’t locked into the Chase, he is in a good position to make his first Chase for the Sprint Cup.
  • COMEBACK KID: Following his 40th-place finish at the NHMS event in July, Logano found himself 18th in the point standings, 36 points out of the top 10. In the six races since, Logano has improved by 10 positions in the standings. This run marked the second time Logano has crawled back in the standings this season. Following the Darlington event in May, Logano was 19th in the point standings and 56 points out of the top 10. In six races, he was able to make up those points and work his way back inside the top 10 before a 40th-place finish at Daytona.
  • ALMOST A WIN: Logano had the fastest car on the track in Atlanta on Sunday, but fell just a few laps short of grabbing his second win of 2013. Logano’s Shell-Pennzoil Ford Fusion led a race high 78 laps and was catching eventual winner Kyle Busch by three-tenths of a second per lap at the end of the event before running out of laps as the checkered flag waved. It was the third time this season that Logano has led the most laps in a race.
  • THREE STRAIGHT: With his second-place finish on Sunday night, Logano collected his third-straight top-five finish. It’s the second time in his career that he has earned three-consecutive top-five results.
  • STATS CONTINUE TO IMPRESS: Dating back to the Coke 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway in May, Logano has an average finish of 11th, which includes two 40th-place results. Take out those two unfortunate runs and Logano has an average finish of 6.3 over that span. He’s also scored the second-most top-10 finishes of any driver this season.
  • WILD CARD CONTENDERS MEDIA AVAILABILITY: Logano will join Keselowski at the 2013 Wild Card Contenders Media Availability at the RIR amphitheater on Thursday afternoon beginning at 5:30 pm ET. The event will include a fan Q&A session with the drivers.

YOU ARE ONE RACE AWAY FROM MAKING THE CHASE, DO YOU FEEL ANY ADDED PRESSURE THIS WEEKEND

“It’s something I’ve been saying and I will continue saying – we are not going to look at doing anything different this weekend then we have been doing the last several weeks. We are going to go out there and try and win the race or get the best possible finish we can. But I’d be lying if I said we also weren’t going to be paying attention to the competition. But we are not points racing just to get in – we are going to race hard and do what we’ve been doing all year. We get ourselves a good finish and we will lock ourselves into the Chase.”

WHILE YOU ARE LOOKING TO MAKE THE CHASE, YOUR TEAMMATE IS ALSO TRYING TO GET IN. HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT HIS CHANCES?

“I would hate to see Brad not make it. He’s the defending Champion and you want to see that guy in the Chase. You want to race him for the Championship. They just went through a stretch of races where he’s had some bad luck and some mechanical issues. Things were looking really good for him last weekend and the engine laid down. There is nothing you can do about that. I really hope they can make it in. But even if they aren’t in the Chase, they are still going to be factors during the Chase races. And if we are fortunate enough to make the Chase, I know he’s going to be a huge help to me and our team through just helping us learn things and getting us ready to run for the Championship.”
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jean's post:
Vermont#1Fan (09-08-2013)
09-05-2013, 02:42 AM
RE: Federated Auto Parts 400 at Richmond International Raceway - Race Talk
Needless to say this race is HUGE. 11th or better, 12th with at least one lap or 13 with the most laps plus a 25 point lead on Truex for the 2nd Wild card spot if we need it. Should be exciting.

[Image: 2q00y8p.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
[-] The following 1 user Likes Canadian Joey Fan's post:
Vermont#1Fan (09-06-2013)
09-05-2013, 08:56 PM
This race being huge is saying it mildly. This is out first one... its the start of something we knew was possible being Joey fans
[-] The following 1 user Likes 22forLogano's post:
Vermont#1Fan (09-06-2013)
09-06-2013, 08:06 PM
Solid start and car looks great over long haulSmile
09-07-2013, 02:00 AM
09-07-2013, 11:25 PM
Best 22nd place finish ever! lol

[-] The following 1 user Likes Canadian Joey Fan's post:
09-08-2013, 08:51 AM
WOOHOOOO

but now thanks to the MWR crap logano's in it too.............

Heres to 2013!!! New Relationships & New Beginnings!
[Image: 598392_10151166714630794_1443265093_n.jpg]
09-08-2013, 12:03 PM
[Image: 1274865_657029804330318_978713237_o_zps08df1bac.jpg]

09-08-2013, 02:56 PM
Holy crap! Just got watching race as I was gone last night! Still shaking and belly torn up but we in. We all knew this wasnt one of his best tracks and like was stated, best 22nd place finish. Thanks to Clint snd MWR. That was a blessing for our driver and got his guy in too. Wooooooooooo, only chaee rookie and its time to recognize what we have always known, Joey is a championship ship caliber driver and it starts in Chicago
09-08-2013, 03:01 PM
And guess we shoukd test at Richmomd again next year, sure missed it with this past test! But we are in!
09-08-2013, 03:59 PM
Way to go Joey, by the skin of your teeth, but so what, you are youngest driver in the Chase.....you are so cute, I could pinch those pinky cheeks you have all the time.....Love Ya........gws....
09-08-2013, 04:09 PM
Quote:THAT WASN’T THE FINISH YOU WANTED TONIGHT. WHAT HAPPENED IN THE RACE?

“Yeah, I’m really kind of disgusted with the way that we ran tonight. We had probably our worst race of the entire year tonight on a night that you couldn’t really have an off race. We just were really tight early and we fell a lap down. Todd (Gordon) made the car better and better and we were getting faster, but at that point we had lost all of our track position and we were stuck two laps down. That call to take the wave around later worked out well for us. I was able to make up a couple of positions, which was huge for us in getting back in the top 10 in the Chase and getting those bonus points. We’ll put this race behind us, learn from it and go on to Chicagoland.”

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO MAKE YOUR FIRST CHASE?

“It feels amazing. To come out here and do it with a new team, with Roger Penske, with Shell-Pennzoil and to come from behind twice like we had to this year says a lot about this team. We knew from the beginning of the year that we could do it and here we are. Now, we need to take advantage of it. We are sixth in the points. We have as good of a shot as anyone that’s in this Chase to win it all. We just need to put together 10 good races in a row and maybe ev
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jean's post:
09-08-2013, 04:25 PM
I see a huge Trophy in your future !!!!!!! Joey, go get it !!!!!gws
09-08-2013, 06:19 PM
Take it race by race Joey. I think we need to stay aggressive and run like Brad did last yr. No one expected it and look what happened. I like chicago for Joey
09-08-2013, 08:34 PM
I have to agree that Joey's name is being thrown thru the mud with this MWR drama. He doesn't seem to get a break in that area, he is always in getting his name involved with others idiotic troubles..Hamlin, Stewart etc. and somehow Joey becomes the bad guy! And of course the Joey lovers are out in full force. Fact is he belongs in "The Chase". His stats make that point clearly. All the Jeff Gordon fans are mad, Jeff has had a medicore season so far, and last I check NOBODY has a crystal ball saying for sure that Newman would have won, there was still racing left. I don't feel bad for any of those two. It is not out of the realm of possibility that JL can bring home the big trophy! Go get em' Joey! Keep your head up you belong right where you are!
09-08-2013, 08:39 PM
Joey deserves to be in "The Chase", his stats clearly back up that statement. He is now dragged into the MWR drama and its not fair, but in racing, nothing rarely is. Many are saying Newman and Gordon were robbed. I say bologna. Gordon has had a medicore season at best so far, Joey has outperformed him. As for Newman, last I checked there wasn't a crystal ball to predict the future. How man times do you think something in racing is a sure thing then in a second, its gone. There was racing left and given the late cautions this year and sloppy restarts, nothing is a sure thing till ya cross that line. Joey is right where he belongs, he deserves it!
09-09-2013, 06:59 PM
Dont listen to any one who involves Joey in the drama. No one will ever know what could have happened. There were 8 laps left. There could have been anither caution, gordon and truex could have wrecked chasing each other, etc. There was still racing left. No one knows what could have happened. Joeys in, he deserves it and all that matters.
Idiots are just that. Joey is awesome and will make some noise in this chase
09-09-2013, 09:06 PM
HOLY S**T

Truex OUT of the chase, Newman IN
$300,000.000 fine for MWR
50 points docked from all 3 teams
Suspensions for Crew Members

thank god they didn't screw logano, though now everyone saying logano doesn't deserve it

09-10-2013, 12:31 AM
(09-09-2013 09:06 PM)jlogano22 Wrote:  HOLY S**T

thank god they didn't screw logano, though now everyone saying logano doesn't deserve it

I knew they were going to do it, these people are nuts. I like to know how the heck Newman was graced with The Chase by Nascar? Did the caution screw up their plans (makes one wonder) Last I checked Carl got the checkers and won. Nascar is cheating now letting Newman in, total manipulation, doing what they just accused MWR of doing. Newman needed a win to get in, he still doesn't have that win. A knee jerk reaction by Nascar, that will open a door for other bologna. Now the Jeff fans are screaming foul, which is comical seeing how poorly he performed this year. Stay focused Joey, you deserve to be there and kick butt!
09-10-2013, 07:18 PM
I think Nascar got it right. Newman tied Truex. Minus MWR penalty and newman in with a win. Next wild card guy. People who talk about Gordon in are fans that are blinded. Dont give 2 seconds of idiocy
09-11-2013, 03:15 AM
(09-10-2013 12:31 AM)Kelly Wrote:  
(09-09-2013 09:06 PM)jlogano22 Wrote:  HOLY S**T

I knew they were going to do it, these people are nuts. I like to know how the heck Newman was graced with The Chase by Nascar? Did the caution screw up their plans (makes one wonder) Last I checked Carl got the checkers and won. Nascar is cheating now letting Newman in, total manipulation, doing what they just accused MWR of doing. Newman needed a win to get in, he still doesn't have that win. A knee jerk reaction by Nascar, that will open a door for other bologna. Now the Jeff fans are screaming foul, which is comical seeing how poorly he performed this year. Stay focused Joey, you deserve to be there and kick butt!

Nascar was not looking at the fact that Newman needed the win to get in. It was simply Truex got the penalty and Newman was the next in line for that wild card spot next to Truex. Some may agrue that the spot should have went to Gordon but no, Newman has a win this season, Gordon doesn't and the wild card is based on wins. Were talking about wild card contenders here, not top 10 there is a difference.

09-11-2013, 03:17 AM
Apparently the "itch" that they talked about on Bowyers radio was due to poison Oak....Phew, glad we got that cleared up! for a second there i had thought they were lying! LMAO