• 0 Votes - 0 Average
Bragging Rights: Davis & Logano face off again at Showdown
01-06-2009, 12:19 PM
JGR teammates heading to Irwindale
By Official Release
January 6, 2009 - 7:50am

In a race where there are no points at stake and the only thing on the line is bragging rights, Marc Davis will get the chance to even the score with Joey Logano, his friend and teammate at Joe Gibbs Racing, when he heads out to Irwindale, Calif., in two weeks for the NASCAR Toyota All-Star Showdown.

“It’s going to be a pretty cool experience,” said Davis. “I can’t wait to get out there and run it again. It’s the Showdown – it’s big. Everybody is going to be there.”

Including the defending champion, Logano.

As the initial batch of entries for the prestigious event arrived in Daytona Beach, Fla. for the race, the names of the two 18-year-old up-and-coming superstars were among those to first to finalize their intentions of running in the postseason showcase at the Toyota Speedway at Irwindale.

The NASCAR Toyota All-Star Showdown will feature two days of exciting action Jan. 23-24 among some of the top drivers in NASCAR Camping World Series and NASCAR Whelen All-American Series action. The competition will air live on SPEED beginning at 7 p.m. PT both nights.

“I can’t wait to go back,” said Logano of returning to the fast, multi-grooved half-mile track. “I’ve got the same car and that track is just a real cool race track. And we had a great time out in Southern California. I really enjoyed being out there.

“It’s pretty much the Daytona 500 of short-track racing, and it would be awesome to go back and win it again.”

Logano knows that returning to Irwindale as the defending race winner he will carry a big target on his back. And nobody may be gunning for him more than Davis.

Davis qualified fourth in the last NASCAR Toyota All-Star Showdown, starting one row behind his teammate. But carburetor issues that surfaced at the start of the race quickly put him 16 laps down. Once he got back on the track, his time was among the leaders but the opportunity to contend for the win was gone.

“We have a lot to prove this year – being so strong last time and having nothing to show for it,” Davis said. “We’re taking the same baseline as last year. We should be pretty good off the truck and we have a whole lot of stuff to experiment with and see how the track has changed.”

In his NASCAR Toyota All-Star Showdown win, Logano led the final 87 laps and held off a fierce challenge from Peyton Sellers on a green-white-checkered finish.

“In the beginning of the race, we weren’t a bolt of lightning,” Logano said. “We made a couple of changes and got it to the front. It was exciting.”

Among those joining Davis on the early entry list looking to dethrone Logano is three-time NASCAR Camping World Truck Series champion Ron Hornaday Jr., 2008 NASCAR Camping World Series Westchampion Eric Holmes, former NASCAR Whelen All-American Series national champions Peyton Sellers and Greg Pursley, and Eddie MacDonald – who swept the NASCAR Camping World Series East races at New Hampshire last year.

The list of top short-track drivers who have already committed to the event includes NASCAR Camping World Truck Series veteran Matt Crafton, 2008 NASCAR Camping World Series East champion and 2006 NASCAR Toyota All-Star Showdown winner Matt Kobyluck, and 2008 NASCAR Canadian Tire Series champion Scott Steckly.

Also confirmed to compete are four drivers who have earned rookie of the year honors in the NASCAR Camping World Series in the last three seasons (Jason Bowles, Sellers, Jeff Barkshire, and Austin Dillon), and Brian Ickler, winner of the NASCAR Camping World Series combination race in Iowa this past May.

Champions of each of NASCAR’s developmental series earned secured spots in the event. In addition to Holmes, Kobyluck and Steckly, those champions include Philip Morris (NASCAR Whelen All-American Series), Antonio Perez (NASCAR Mexico Series), Ted Christopher (NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour) and Brian Loftin (NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour).

Logano won the NASCAR Camping World Series East title in 2007 and became the youngest winner in the NASCAR Nationwide Series in 2008. He is preparing to make his debut in the Daytona 500 at Daytona International Speedway in February in his brand-new NASCAR Sprint Cup Series ride, the No. 20 Home Depot Toyota.

His first on-track racing action of the 2009 calendar, though, will be at the NASCAR Toyota All-Star Showdown – where he capped his breakthrough rookie season in NASCAR in Victory Lane.

Logano won the event in October of 2007. The event has been moved to January, where it will share the racing weekend with the Grand-Am Series Rolex Daytona 24. The move provides a break in the monotony of winter and an opportunity to get back to racing.

“I can’t wait to get back into a race car,” said Logano, who has got his racing fix running go-karts against his friends and participating in the Whelen Bodine Bobsled Challenge at Lake Placid, N.Y. “It’s been a while and I’m just getting antsy to race. It’s going to be great to get back on track at the Showdown.”

Davis is coming off a 2008 season in which he finished fifth in points in the NASCAR Camping World Series East. He led a race-high 57 laps at Iowa Speedway in the combination race between the NASCAR Camping World Series East and West.

He also made his debut in the NASCAR Nationwide Series and NASCAR Camping World Truck Series.

Davis again plans a mixed schedule of the three national series in 2009, but not before taking care of some unfinished business.

“We had a car to win it last year but came up empty,” Davis said. “We’re just going to have to go out there and perform and win it all.”

In addition to competition for the NASCAR Camping World Series, which is NASCAR’s top developmental series, action in the NASCAR Whelen All-American Series will feature a Late Model race and a Super Late Model race.

To purchase tickets for the NASCAR Toyota All-Star Showdown, fans can go to http://www.toyotaspeedwayatirwindale.com or call the track at (626) 358-1100.

http://localracing.nascar.com/node/1847

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2009, 04:30 PM
RE: Bragging Rights: Davis & Logano face off again at Showdown
I am really glad to hear that it will be televised live on SPEED Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-06-2009, 09:16 PM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2009 09:16 PM by Kurt/Kyle/Ryan Fan.)
i was too till i saw that my cable company decided to take Speed channel off their channel line-up
i am all kinds of pissed off about it AngryAngryAngryAngryAngry

01-06-2009, 10:14 PM
(01-06-2009 09:16 PM)Kurt/Kyle/Ryan Fan Wrote:  i was too till i saw that my cable company decided to take Speed channel off their channel line-up
i am all kinds of pissed off about it AngryAngryAngryAngryAngry

You can watch the Speed Channel on http://www.tvunetworks.com It is free, and the channel is called "Wheels". You just need to download the program, and you also need a high speed internet connection.
01-07-2009, 07:02 AM
(01-06-2009 04:30 PM)Jean Wrote:  I am really glad to hear that it will be televised live on SPEED Smile

I'll be watching
May be a chance to do another DiecastTongue

http://www.kkracingcollectibles.com/

Take a look at my custom Diecasts (Link Below)

http://public.fotki.com/derekmcc/

[Image: DSC_0198.jpg][Image: DSC_0507.jpg]
01-07-2009, 04:36 PM
(01-07-2009 07:02 AM)derekmcc Wrote:  I'll be watching
May be a chance to do another DiecastTongue

A bobsled diecast? Now that would take alot of skill! hehe
01-08-2009, 07:12 AM
A bobsled diecast? Now that would take alot of skill! hehe
[/quote]

I thought about it but can't find a donor bobsledSad

http://www.kkracingcollectibles.com/

Take a look at my custom Diecasts (Link Below)

http://public.fotki.com/derekmcc/

[Image: DSC_0198.jpg][Image: DSC_0507.jpg]
01-09-2009, 06:37 AM
Well.... I just wrote my own version of it, http://www.gojoeylogano.com/news/nascar-...wdown.html
01-20-2009, 07:23 AM
Logano aims to defend Showdown title at Irwindale this weekend
By Keith Lair, Staff Writer
Posted: 01/18/2009 07:44:32 PM PST

A full NASCAR Sprint Cup season is approaching for rookie Joey Logano.

There is a lot at stake. He's taking over the seat that belonged to two-time series champion Tony Stewart. The orange The Home Depot No. 20 Toyota that he will drive is one of the most recognizable cars in the sport. Stewart has qualified for every Chase for the Championship in it.

So, why would Logano even consider coming to Toyota Speedway at Irwindale this weekend for the sixth Toyota All-Star Showdown?

"Because it is fun," he said. "The guys at the shop asked, `Are you going to defend the title?" I said, `Why not?' I want to go there and just have fun. This is an opportunity to race in January. I'm excited to be coming back. I'm antsy to get back to racing."

Well, there are several good reasons not to race. There is nothing left to prove. The 18-year-old dominated the Camping World East series in 2007, winning five races and capping it off with a victory in the Showdown, which matches the best drivers in NASCAR's Touring Series' East and West divisions. In that race, held in October 2007, Logano had an automatic berth into the event by virtue of his series championship. He did not compete in a Touring Series event last season and will have to qualify based on time, or if worse comes to worse, through Friday's 50-lap qualifying race.

Saturday's race is 250 laps with $500,000 at stake. The winner will receive the use of a Toyota Tundra truck for a year.

Friday's schedule includes a 150-lap Super Late Model race and Saturday's schedule includes a 75-lap Late Model race. Speed will offer a live telecast on both nights.

Logano isn't the only top NASCAR driver to be throwing his name into the hat this weekend. Fellow Cup driver David Gilliland, who has more than a dozen victories at Irwindale, will try to qualify for Friday's open Super Late Model event. Three-time Truck Series champion Ron Hornaday Jr., Truck series veteran Matt Crafton and multi-AMA motocross and supercross champion Rick Carmichael also are entered in the main event.

"It's the perfect time to have this, and I hope in the future it stays at that time," Logano said. "I think by having it at this time, it can attract a lot of big-name drivers."

Thirteen drivers earned automatic berths into Saturday's main event, including East champion Matt Kobyluck and West champion Eric Holmes.

Sixty-cars are pre-entered for the 40-car field.

Hornaday has compared the timing of this event to the old NASCAR Winter Heats in Tucson, Ariz. It's an allure Logano said he loves.

"I just want to race," he said. "It is a lot of fun to race in this."

He will be in the same car he drove in 2007, although with a different crew. He beat out Peyton Sellers on a green-white-checkered flag finish.

"I remember everything," he said. "Peyton bumped me in Turn 4 to try and get by me. I would have done the same thing if I were him."

He said members from his current race team and those from the Cup team of Kyle Busch have volunteered to help out. He had to beat Joe Gibbs Racing developmental teammate Marc Davis in a draw out of a hat to drive the car, which has won at New Hampshire and Irwindale and taken second at Dover, Del.

"It's a really good car," he said. "The worst it has finished is second. They're both good cars. I'm glad I get to drive it. Too bad for Marc."

After winning the Showdown, Logano jumped to the Nationwide Series last season, running 19 of the 35 events and then in three Cup events near the end of the season. He was on the pole in his second Nationwide race, in Nashville, Tenn., and then won in his third time out, at Kentucky Speedway, making him the youngest winner ever in the series. He had four poles and finished 20th in points. His best Cup finish was 32nd, in New Hampshire in his debut. He was 39th at Kansas and 40th at Texas.

Stewart then opted out of his contract to form his own team and Logano, 15 months after winning at Irwindale, was the national focus as his replacement. He's had to go into this season without testing because of new NASCAR rules to help in cost containment.

"It is what it is and I'll just have to make do," he said. "It's, oh well."

Certainly it will be problematic.

"They're going to have to front up and race every week without having done a lot of testing and that's going to make it challenging for all of those guys, not just Joey Logano," Toyota Racing Development president Lee White said. "I do think that one of the negatives of the test ban is the fact that it's probably going to take some additional time to develop a rookie, to get him up to speed. That means you're going to have a very strong team and a very patient sponsor to be able to ride that to get him where he needs to be."

And replacing a high-profile driver such as Stewart?

"All the pressure is off," he said. "Obviously, there is pressure, but I've learned to deal with it. I've been asked that question for a while. It is what it is and it will be tough."

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/ci_11486487

01-20-2009, 08:07 PM
I'm happy to see Joey in the Toyota All Star Showdown. GO JOEY GO!!!